Each Super Chess deck contains:
- 36 unique cards, including 17 ability, 8 spatial manipulation, 7 revival and 4 removal type cards.
- A 6-page instruction leaflet.
- A gloss-laminated tuck box to hold the cards.
- Shuffle the deck and deal 3 cards to each player.
- At the beginning of their turn, the player draws a card from the deck.
- The number of cards in a player’s hand cannot exceed 5. If a player has 5 cards in their hand they are not allowed to draw a card at the beginning of their turn.
- The player can now either make a regular chess move or choose to use one of their cards.
- To use a card, follow the instructions on the card and make any sacrifices if required, then place the card face-up on the discard pile.
- After using a card or making a regular move the player has the option of removing a single card from their hand and placing it at the bottom of the deck or placing it face-up on the discard pile.
- Now the player’s turn has ended and the opponent takes their turn.
- When the deck has run out, the players can no longer draw new cards but may continue to use the cards in their hand.
- As with regular chess, the game is over when a player checkmates their opponent, when a player resigns or when a draw occurs, either by default or by agreement between the two players.